Weekly Kubernetes Community Hangout Notes - March 27 2015
Every week the Kubernetes contributing community meet virtually over Google Hangouts. We want anyone who's interested to know what's discussed in this forum.
- Andy - demo remote execution and port forwarding
- Quinton - Cluster federation - Postponed
- Clayton - UI code sharing and collaboration around Kubernetes
Notes from meeting:
1. Andy from RedHat:
Demo remote execution
kubectl exec -p $POD -- $CMD
Makes a connection to the master as proxy, figures out which node the pod is on, proxies connection to kubelet, which does the interesting bit. via nsenter.
Multiplexed streaming over HTTP using SPDY
Also interactive mode:
Assumes first container. Can use -c $CONTAINER to pick a particular one.
If have gdb pre-installed in container, then can interactively attach it to running process
- backtrace, symbol tbles, print, etc. Most things you can do with gdb.
Can also with careful flag crafting run rsync over this or set up sshd inside container.
Some feedback via chat:
Andy also demoed port forwarding
nsenter vs. docker exec
want to inject a binary under control of the host, similar to pre-start hooks
socat, nsenter, whatever the pre-start hook needs
would be nice to blog post on this
version of nginx in wheezy is too old to support needed master-proxy functionality
2. Clayton: where are we wrt a community organization for e.g. kubernetes UI components?
- google-containers-ui IRC channel, mailing list.
- Tim: google-containers prefix is historical, should just do "kubernetes-ui"
- also want to put design resources in, and bower expects its own repo.
- General agreement
3. Brian Grant:
- Testing v1beta3, getting that ready to go in.
- Paul working on changes to commandline stuff.
- Early to mid next week, try to enable v1beta3 by default?
- For any other changes, file issue and CC thockin.
4. General consensus that 30 minutes is better than 60
- Shouldn't artificially try to extend just to fill time.