Contributing new content
This section contains information you should know before contributing new content.
Figure - Contributing new content preparation
The figure above depicts the information you should know prior to submitting new content. The information details follow.
- Write Kubernetes documentation in Markdown and build the Kubernetes site using Hugo.
- Kubernetes documentation uses CommonMark as its flavor of Markdown.
- The source is in GitHub. You can find
Kubernetes documentation at
/content/en/docs/. Some of the reference documentation is automatically generated from scripts in the
- Page content types describe the presentation of documentation content in Hugo.
- You can use Docsy shortcodes or custom Hugo shortcodes to contribute to Kubernetes documentation.
- In addition to the standard Hugo shortcodes, we use a number of custom Hugo shortcodes in our documentation to control the presentation of content.
- Documentation source is available in multiple languages in
/content/. Each language has its own folder with a two-letter code determined by the ISO 639-1 standard . For example, English documentation source is stored in
- For more information about contributing to documentation in multiple languages or starting a new translation, see localization.
Before you begin
Sign the CNCF CLA
Pull requests from contributors who haven't signed the CLA fail the automated
tests. The name and email you provide must match those found in
git config, and your git name and email must match those used for the
Choose which Git branch to use
When opening a pull request, you need to know in advance which branch to base your work on.
|Existing or new English language content for the current release||
|Content for a feature change release||The branch which corresponds to the major and minor version the feature change is in, using the pattern
|Content in other languages (localizations)||Use the localization's convention. See the Localization branching strategy for more information.|
If you're still not sure which branch to choose, ask in
#sig-docs on Slack.
Languages per PR
Limit pull requests to one language per PR. If you need to make an identical change to the same code sample in multiple languages, open a separate PR for each language.
Tools for contributors
The doc contributors tools
directory in the
kubernetes/website repository contains tools to help your
contribution journey go more smoothly.